19th Century Chick Lit

Part of the Web site, www.19thcenturychicklit.com, this blog is about the connection between the popular women writers of the 19th century and today's women writers and readers. I'm actually interested in women writers from lots of different time periods and genres--the 19th century is just my starting point.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The Marriage Plot Thickens

So I last wrote about my anxiety over wedding planning, and the books I got out of the library didn’t do much to assuage it. All I want is a simple, quiet wedding, something like what I imagine Jane Eyre and Rochester would have had. After all, Rochester was blind at the time. And he kept his last wife in the attic for years. What did he know about weddings?

But the details just seem endless and a tad ridiculous. One of the books actually suggests that to save money on hiring a band or a DJ, you should have relatives perform recitals for you. No, it’s not a joke. Another book suggested making a cake out of Styrofoam and covering it in icing. So are these the options I’m left with if I don’t want a big fancy spectacle? Make-believe cakes and nephews singing off key? Shoot me now.

Actually, Kathleen Kennedy’s book, Priceless Weddings for Under $5,000 is pretty good. She talks about priorities—as in, figuring yours out. And that’s my whole problem—I don’t know what mine are when it comes to a wedding. For so long, I rallied against this institution that now it’s a bit of a tough sell.

But I’m off now to start filling in my “Location Worksheet.” Apparently, a wedding has to actually be held somewhere. Ay ay ay . . .

6 Comments:

Blogger Deborah said...

Afer reading your Virginia Wolf entry, I would love to read some of your writing!

The novel too!

9:57 PM  
Blogger Judi Ketteler said...

Deborah,
Thanks for your comment!
You can check out my site www.19thcenturychicklit.com if you want more info about any of the novels (though Virginia Woolf isn't actually on there). Someday I hope to write a book about all this stuff!

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

A decent cake is a must, my dear. Even Miss Havisham had one, though of course she didn't eat it. As for everything else, don't sweat it. Have you considered doing a pot-luck? Now that's anti-establishment.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Grit said...

Judi Ketteler, quit sweating the small stuff. The institute of marriage can definitely be a very rewarding experience, especially if you approach as a partnership. Trust me, you don't have to lose your independence or identity because you're tying the knot.

FYI... I did my entire wedding, including dress, tux, etc., for about $5,100 and that included a reception for 400 people...

G

9:30 AM  
Blogger Grit said...

P.S. I'm very excited for you and you're having a shower, like it or not, hee, hee!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Judi Ketteler said...

Oh, yeah, there is definitely going to be a cake (and not a fake one).

And Miss G, we need to talk about how you pulled of this feat of a wedding for that many people so cheaply!

Judi

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home